Our History

St Thomas of Canterbury started as two schools in one building. Built in 1848, with an attendance of 86 pupils, the boys school was on the ground floor and girls upstairs. Entrance to the school was via the main entrance in Dawes Road. By 1849, there were 210 children in attendance. There was one master and one mistress in charge and each had a pupil teacher. 

In September 1949, following the retirement of the headmistress of the Girls' school, a Junior mixed school was formed.